The Fourth of July, or Independence Day, celebrates the adoption of the Declaration of the Independence on July 4th, 1776. Traditionally, Americans celebrate the 4th by wearing red, white and blue and enjoying mouth-watering barbeque, spectacular firework displays and most importantly, spending some time with family and friends.
It can be tempting to celebrate America’s 236th anniversary with tons of decorations and extravagant fireworks, but keep in mind just how costly these party supplies can be.
Here are some ways to save money on Independence Day:
Fireworks and celebrations go together, especially during the Fourth of July but, remember fireworks can be dangerous, causing serious burn and eye injuries. If fireworks are allowed to be purchased in your state there are many coupons available to save some cash. TNT Fireworks offers great deals on their website. You can print coupons at http://tntfireworks.com/supercenter-coupon.php?l=6.. During peak seasons, TNT will mail out certain promotions, so be sure to check those advertisements.
Here are some safety tips:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
Around Independence Day, many retailers have low prices on barbeque needs. You can find good deals on food, chips, drinks and even grills. It’s a good idea to take advantage of these summer-time holiday savings to make the most out of your money.
Many cities tend to celebrate the 4th of July by having free events for the whole family. Free activities include parades, face-painting, pony rides and concerts. The celebration always ends with a free fireworks show too! Check out your city’s website for information about their events. www.july4th.org is a great great resource and if you’re anywhere near a beach, it’s also a great idea to soak up the sun in the daytime and stay for the fireworks at night. If you feel like staying in for the night however, you can always catch Macy’s Annual 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular or the Boston Pops annual concert and fireworks display from what is coined “The Cradle of Liberty.”